When I asked Cameron if he liked skating he said he didn't like it because.... "my body hurts all over...everywhere." He then told me, "I kept falling over and I kept getting up then tripping over again."
Anyway, here was our equipment waiting to get bagged. And, the Tylenol was not just in case of an injury, it was because Cameron has been running a fever since last night. Maybe we shouldn't have sent him onto the ice, but we did....
I had him practice putting on his helmet before we left for the rink. The helmet was going to be a sticking point because he doesn't like how tight it is and the snaps are hard to do.
Of course Emmersyn had to try on the helmet, too. I really need to sign this girl up for skating. She is at the perfect age to learn to skate. Cameron is about 3 years too late.
She was loving spinning in circles with the helmet on. At least we were safe from any injuries.
Here we had suited up and were waiting to go onto the ice. He doesn't look too excited. Like I said, he was a bit under the weather.
Mohamed took a quick break from work to spy on Cameron at his first practice. Once again, Cameron is dazed and confused!
Once he entered the area, we got a SMILE!
Here was his first touch onto the ice....
With a lot of help, he made it to his corner of the rink!
Like I said, today's lesson was learning how to stand up. Before you knew it he was standing on his own in the middle of the rink!
Look at his great form!
Another picture of him gracefully sliding across the ice!
About halfway through, he decided to have a seat!
Before long, he was up and skating again.
He is definitely paying close attention as to how the instructor is describing how to stand up. Balance on one knee, put two hands on that knee, and push up! Voila! You are standing on the ice!
Look where good listening skills can get you!
On your mark, get set, go... It looks like it's gonna be a tie!
So, this was the last 10 minutes of practice. His teacher brought him over to the bench area to take a rest. He was in tears complaining that he was "too tired" and "my head hurts all over." I wasn't sure if it was because of the helmet or because of the illness. So, I let him skip out on the last 10 minutes of practice. Once again he was complaining that his whole body hurt from falling/tripping all the time. He didn't think that was very much fun. Anyway, I'll keep you posted week by week to show any improvements!
Great post, Maureen! You captured some great photos. Cameron will love looking back on this experience!
ReplyDeleteIt was nice that Mohamed was able to watch Cameron's first experience on the ice.
Cameron looks like he did just fine out on the ice. It's too bad that he was not feeling well for his first lesson, but I am sure that he will like it more as he gets the hang of it.